Regardless of whether it is your first ever marathon race or you have been a part of numerous such races, it is important to ensure proper preparation for that BIG race. During your preparation, maintaining a proper diet is as critical as ensuring you have the proper gear. This will not only help to improve your performance, but also ensure that you are in the best of health before, during and after the event.
Coffee can offer numerous benefits for marathon runners
One of the most common queries that most marathon runners have during such events is how to ensure that the body receives adequate fuel to stay alert and perform well at the race. Well, coffee is one of the best ingredients that can help you stay alert and on your feet so that you do not miss that few seconds that could prove to be detrimental for your performance. In fact, caffeine has numerous known qualities that can be very beneficial for marathon runners. Some of these beneficial qualities include:
Coffee helps to improve focus
Caffeine stimulates the brain cells and supercharges them. This allows you to focus strongly on your goals and be alert for every second while training or during the race.
Coffee helps to reduce your perception of effort and hard work
Coffee tends to instill some zeal and energy into your body cells and allows you to force yourself that extra bit during workouts or while performing. Due to the extra energy, you are able to work a little harder and put in that extra effort that might eventually prove to be the element that brings a certain extravagance to your performance. You always feel that you can work harder and make more effort towards performing better.
Coffee helps to improve your mood
Just as physical wellness is important during a marathon race, so is mental well-being. A little amount of caffeine will help you stay sharp and mentally fit before, during and after a marathon race. This improvement in your mental state can make a huge difference in your performance during a marathon race.
Some important tips for marathon runners
Discussed below are some coffee related tips on coffeereviewer.net that every marathon runner can use to enhance their performance in that big race.
- Time it right – The best time to consume coffee in order to obtain the best effects is at least an hour before the race. This will give the caffeine adequate time to affect your body.
- Consume in mediation – It is important to intake caffeine in the right proportion to obtain the necessary benefits. According to studies, 3-6mg per kg of body weight is appropriate. So, for an average person weighing 70kg, 210-420mg of caffeine is best.
- Avoid overloading in caffeine – Consuming coffee in excess will not help you obtain the benefits in excess. Rather, it will pose risks of side effects that may include heart palpitations, anxiety, dizziness and several others.
- Drink lots of water – Coffee does not do anything to hydrate your body during the race. Hence, drink adequate quantities of water or sports-drinks so that your body stays hydrated at all times.
- Try to consume a little coffee at the later miles – A small quantity of coffee can help you achieve that extra energy which will help you during the later miles of the race. Even if you do not feel like drinking the coffee, keep it in you mouth for a while and spit it out. That would be enough for your body to receive that extra boost.
- Drink some after the race – A small quantity of coffee at the end of the race can help you recover from the turmoil and stay alert even after all that effort.
- There are many other ways you can use coffee to boost your energy levels during a marathon race. However, these simple methods can help you instill that extra energy and zeal in your body that will help you enhance your performance by a great extent.